3rd week of training
I've been toying with the idea of competeing in american ninja warrior to be the first woman to finish level one. I started training with the long Beach Roller Derby girls trainer, Kim Ball. I started about three weeks ago, after almost breaking my neck at a roller skating class. Well not my neck, more my wrists, but screw that! It's been interesting. I've had to go through some emotional moments right at the start.
There is this little chubby kid (5 or 6) who hangs out around the bandshell a few days a week. He comes up and pokes me in the stomach and tells me, "You're too fat to do this."
I wanted to push him down. Instead the only thing I could think of to say was "I'm not TOO fat for anything! I'm just fat."
He shrugged and walked off. I wanted to kill him. It was my second class, and I was breathing like I was dying. Then some stray munchkin wanders up and shotguns my self-esteem. Mouths of babes and all. I brushed it off but it still bugged me. I tried to block it out, but it shook me.
A later class had a group of bike trick riders. I called them the Huffy Olympic team. They were bouncing off the benches and stairs. We were doing something called Burpies (crazy death pushup of 10,000 hells) then jogging 30 seconds, then Burpies for 30 seconds; this went on for EIGHT MINUTES. Three minutes in I was hoping to pass out, and end the indignity. I've lost 180 lbs since 2006, and my belly skin slaps against me, and I can hear it. It plagues me and hurts physically. (I now wear Spanx to be able to move better. Blehh! I hate nylon) SO the huffy team is hanging out talking, and I was struggling to flail convincingly for 30 secs of Burpies, then do a Demerol shuffle for 30 seconds pretending run, but staying close to the ground. My inner teenager was cringing at being watched by 12 guys while I sweat and whimpered my frustration. But I did it. Kim kept shouting "Ninja Warriors don't quit!"
I would put a smidgen more omph in my step and mimicked Rocky throwing punches while I jogged. I haven't sweat like this since Texas. It's like a switch has been thrown in my body, and I'm releasing a ton of fluid. I used to just get damp when I worked out before. I lifted weights, ran on the treadmill, biked the LB & LA marathons. I was 190lbs and 20% body fat two years ago (yeauh! I was a brick house) And I have never sweat like I do at Kim's Bad-Ass Academy.
I am thrashed when I'm done. We do so much agility work like you see at football camps. Fast paced grapevine, skipping sideways, all kinds of stuff. My ankles have been hyperextended many times in my life, and I am often scared when I'm doing these exercises. That's what I'm here to do is test the limits of my body, to give myself back to me. To have the body I should of had when I was younger. A body that could hold my weight, climb a rope, jump an expanse, roller skate, or whatever I choose to do.
Oh that kid came by today, he was dressed all in orange, orange shirt, orange pants, orange beanie. He poked me in the leg and said, "You're not fat."
He repeated it three times and walked away. I looked at Kim and said, "This is going to be a surreal relationship isn't it?"
She just laughed, and told me to stretch out.
There is this little chubby kid (5 or 6) who hangs out around the bandshell a few days a week. He comes up and pokes me in the stomach and tells me, "You're too fat to do this."
I wanted to push him down. Instead the only thing I could think of to say was "I'm not TOO fat for anything! I'm just fat."
He shrugged and walked off. I wanted to kill him. It was my second class, and I was breathing like I was dying. Then some stray munchkin wanders up and shotguns my self-esteem. Mouths of babes and all. I brushed it off but it still bugged me. I tried to block it out, but it shook me.
A later class had a group of bike trick riders. I called them the Huffy Olympic team. They were bouncing off the benches and stairs. We were doing something called Burpies (crazy death pushup of 10,000 hells) then jogging 30 seconds, then Burpies for 30 seconds; this went on for EIGHT MINUTES. Three minutes in I was hoping to pass out, and end the indignity. I've lost 180 lbs since 2006, and my belly skin slaps against me, and I can hear it. It plagues me and hurts physically. (I now wear Spanx to be able to move better. Blehh! I hate nylon) SO the huffy team is hanging out talking, and I was struggling to flail convincingly for 30 secs of Burpies, then do a Demerol shuffle for 30 seconds pretending run, but staying close to the ground. My inner teenager was cringing at being watched by 12 guys while I sweat and whimpered my frustration. But I did it. Kim kept shouting "Ninja Warriors don't quit!"
I would put a smidgen more omph in my step and mimicked Rocky throwing punches while I jogged. I haven't sweat like this since Texas. It's like a switch has been thrown in my body, and I'm releasing a ton of fluid. I used to just get damp when I worked out before. I lifted weights, ran on the treadmill, biked the LB & LA marathons. I was 190lbs and 20% body fat two years ago (yeauh! I was a brick house) And I have never sweat like I do at Kim's Bad-Ass Academy.
I am thrashed when I'm done. We do so much agility work like you see at football camps. Fast paced grapevine, skipping sideways, all kinds of stuff. My ankles have been hyperextended many times in my life, and I am often scared when I'm doing these exercises. That's what I'm here to do is test the limits of my body, to give myself back to me. To have the body I should of had when I was younger. A body that could hold my weight, climb a rope, jump an expanse, roller skate, or whatever I choose to do.
Oh that kid came by today, he was dressed all in orange, orange shirt, orange pants, orange beanie. He poked me in the leg and said, "You're not fat."
He repeated it three times and walked away. I looked at Kim and said, "This is going to be a surreal relationship isn't it?"
She just laughed, and told me to stretch out.
Taking the torture with absolute grace, Eda. Way to go with that fighting spirit! Ain't nothing gonna knock you down! It's so wonderful to have you in our supportive little group. Can't wait to see how far you go...
ReplyDeletexoxo
Kim