Key West Bound
I'm excited to be packing. It's all bound up with anxiety, like a murky soup. The government shut down, my cold, booking the flight, changing the flight are all low-level anxieties that were snowballing into a feeling of dread.
But, I'm looking forward to this.
This is going to be an adventure. A good one. Sultry nights in Key West, chilling on the porch talking life with my Aunties, my childhood compadre and his husband (who I adore), and whoever else decides to stop by to chat.
I'm driving down from Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow at 5:30 am. I can't wait to watch the sunrise, drive the causeway, pause where ever I fancy, and take my time. I realized when I drove back from Lake Havasu that I hadn't done a solo road trip in a good decade. I used to do them all the time.
Don't get me wrong, I love traveling with Scott, but traveling as a couple is a team sport. You gotta play together well to travel well, check in with each other's comfort, and be ready to bail on plans when exhausted (We aren't pool chair people. We're lookie-loos, we want to see everything).
But, it's nice to travel alone. To sit in silence while the road unspools behind me. To sing loudly to nostalgic music that I only know half the words to, and some of those words are like "Poodle Shark dancing in the night", so most probably not the actual lyrics. Stop when I wish to check out a weird store or take a picture. To just exist without thinking. It doesn't happen much with me, but I love it when it does.
So, here's to packing my bags and catching the red eye to adventure.
But, I'm looking forward to this.
This is going to be an adventure. A good one. Sultry nights in Key West, chilling on the porch talking life with my Aunties, my childhood compadre and his husband (who I adore), and whoever else decides to stop by to chat.
I'm driving down from Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow at 5:30 am. I can't wait to watch the sunrise, drive the causeway, pause where ever I fancy, and take my time. I realized when I drove back from Lake Havasu that I hadn't done a solo road trip in a good decade. I used to do them all the time.
Don't get me wrong, I love traveling with Scott, but traveling as a couple is a team sport. You gotta play together well to travel well, check in with each other's comfort, and be ready to bail on plans when exhausted (We aren't pool chair people. We're lookie-loos, we want to see everything).
But, it's nice to travel alone. To sit in silence while the road unspools behind me. To sing loudly to nostalgic music that I only know half the words to, and some of those words are like "Poodle Shark dancing in the night", so most probably not the actual lyrics. Stop when I wish to check out a weird store or take a picture. To just exist without thinking. It doesn't happen much with me, but I love it when it does.
So, here's to packing my bags and catching the red eye to adventure.
Comments
Post a Comment