Beer Bash in the Boneyard. For charity...
Oh my gosh, if you haven't guessed from my FB posts and newsletter for July that my birthday month was AWESOME you weren't paying attention. It was spectacular. June was busy but great.
But the best bit was feeling like a rock star while I was still on an inspiration high from Key West's writer's conference and time with my aunt Priscilla. Let me start at the beginning...
I have a friend Pepper, who I've only seen at events for the past year. We promised each other a date and picked June 30th to hang out. Mind you, we did this at the end of May. Carving out time to spend with friends can be a beast. So, I aimed to keep this date.
Festival Obscura was holding a fundraiser for Sunnyside Cemetery on the same date. It was a beer and wine tasting with food trucks and 20+ macabre artists.
HELLO!
Feed me and indulge my morbid sense of art? Yes, please!
The admission was $65 for VIP and $40 for general admission. I was debating dropping that on a Saturday afternoon. I texted my friend that Monday and we decided to decide on the day how much we wanted to hang out in a cemetery on a hot summer day. I was really going back and forth.
Then my friend Kelly, who runs a website called Girls Who Like Beer, texted me she had media passes. Would I like to go with her?
Yaaaaasss!
I got to text Pepper that we were going to swagger in with VIP media passes to a sold out event. It was hot as balls, but so awesome. I had my business cards with me and got to hand them out to few interested people. I found a wonderfully whimsical goth artist named Michelle Prebich who I am going to discuss doing pen and inks for my children's book with, a la Scary Tales to Tell in the Dark. Her business is called Bat in Your Belfry.
We got our wristbands, our sparkly plastic sample cup, and sauntered inside. There were normals walking around, but there also were a huge array of people gothed to the nines. Morticia would have been in love with all the creepy pointy parasols that were dotting the crowd, as milk skinned maids wandered among the gravestones. It was wonderfully creepy and surreal, but lighthearted with a picnic vibe.
We got about six booths in and I nudged Pepper.
"I need water. Stat."
She nodded. I asked the Anchor Steam guy where the water was. He pointed at the absolute opposite of the big circular drive that surrounds the cemetery.
"Over there."
We made the trek. Got suckered into paying $10 for nacho cheese covered tater tots, and $10 for a trio of yummy creative sliders from the Red Leprechaun. They even had a goat cheese asparagus ones for the veggie heads. The Essentia water booth was giving out free bottles. I grabbed like five and threw them in my bag. We made our way up the other side of the circle.
I found out I'm a fool for a good dry sparkling Rose, especially the Van Ruiten Rose. I circled back to that one a few times. There was a grapefruit beer I feel in love with called a Stiegl Grapefruit Radler. It was crisp and not cloying a 1/3 of the way through like most fruity beers. I bought a cheaper different grapefruit beer later at Bevmo, it was not the same at all!
Stick with Stiegl.
It's got only 2% alcohol. Kelly told me it was her favorite day-drinking beer. I laughed and agreed. No use going 5% until after 5pm, right?
Lord, I am lush. I wish I was more disturbed by my European (probably more Irish) style love of libations. I figure as long as I'm not an asshole, and I Uber. I'm good.
We perused all the pop up tents. Every last damn one. Loved it. It was like a bunch of Victorian goths emptied their curio cabinets and had an Addams Family style yard sale. From Miss Haveshim's elegant collector tea cups that had "Kindly, Fuck off" and "I hope you choke" printed on the inside to punk rock shirts and bags. All kinds of things that I wanted to buy.
I really wanted a trio of those snarky tea cups for high tea with my college girlfriends, but the small ones were $60 and the large ones were $100. I refrained from dropping $300 bones on a credit card, while I was beered up. I was very proud of myself.

Pepper had to leave early. I didn't win anything at the silent auction, but other people dropped some serious cash, so hooray for the fundraiser. Kelly and I haunted a few more booths. I stood to the side while she schmoozed with her associates. Sometimes I wandered off, sometimes I joined in. The people at Modern Times Coffee had a cold brew to die for. It helped to cut the haze for me a bit.
We closed the place out and hopped in an Uber. We were only slightly sun singed. Kelly and I came back and took a cool swim to bring our skin temperature down. We sobered up in the hot tub. I love coming down from an event by chilling and chatting. Kelly is a heartfelt, interesting, and creative go-getter. I adore her.
How do I afford my rock 'n' roll lifestyle?
Bitch, please.
I don't pay for things, I know people.
To quote Leeloo, "Multi-pass."
But the best bit was feeling like a rock star while I was still on an inspiration high from Key West's writer's conference and time with my aunt Priscilla. Let me start at the beginning...
I have a friend Pepper, who I've only seen at events for the past year. We promised each other a date and picked June 30th to hang out. Mind you, we did this at the end of May. Carving out time to spend with friends can be a beast. So, I aimed to keep this date.
Festival Obscura was holding a fundraiser for Sunnyside Cemetery on the same date. It was a beer and wine tasting with food trucks and 20+ macabre artists.
HELLO!
Feed me and indulge my morbid sense of art? Yes, please!
The admission was $65 for VIP and $40 for general admission. I was debating dropping that on a Saturday afternoon. I texted my friend that Monday and we decided to decide on the day how much we wanted to hang out in a cemetery on a hot summer day. I was really going back and forth.
Then my friend Kelly, who runs a website called Girls Who Like Beer, texted me she had media passes. Would I like to go with her?
Yaaaaasss!
I got to text Pepper that we were going to swagger in with VIP media passes to a sold out event. It was hot as balls, but so awesome. I had my business cards with me and got to hand them out to few interested people. I found a wonderfully whimsical goth artist named Michelle Prebich who I am going to discuss doing pen and inks for my children's book with, a la Scary Tales to Tell in the Dark. Her business is called Bat in Your Belfry.
| Inktober Witch Trial and A Clockwork Orange by Michelle Prebich |
We got about six booths in and I nudged Pepper.
"I need water. Stat."
She nodded. I asked the Anchor Steam guy where the water was. He pointed at the absolute opposite of the big circular drive that surrounds the cemetery.
"Over there."
| This guy. |
We made the trek. Got suckered into paying $10 for nacho cheese covered tater tots, and $10 for a trio of yummy creative sliders from the Red Leprechaun. They even had a goat cheese asparagus ones for the veggie heads. The Essentia water booth was giving out free bottles. I grabbed like five and threw them in my bag. We made our way up the other side of the circle.
I found out I'm a fool for a good dry sparkling Rose, especially the Van Ruiten Rose. I circled back to that one a few times. There was a grapefruit beer I feel in love with called a Stiegl Grapefruit Radler. It was crisp and not cloying a 1/3 of the way through like most fruity beers. I bought a cheaper different grapefruit beer later at Bevmo, it was not the same at all!
Stick with Stiegl.
It's got only 2% alcohol. Kelly told me it was her favorite day-drinking beer. I laughed and agreed. No use going 5% until after 5pm, right?
| Pepper |
We perused all the pop up tents. Every last damn one. Loved it. It was like a bunch of Victorian goths emptied their curio cabinets and had an Addams Family style yard sale. From Miss Haveshim's elegant collector tea cups that had "Kindly, Fuck off" and "I hope you choke" printed on the inside to punk rock shirts and bags. All kinds of things that I wanted to buy.
I really wanted a trio of those snarky tea cups for high tea with my college girlfriends, but the small ones were $60 and the large ones were $100. I refrained from dropping $300 bones on a credit card, while I was beered up. I was very proud of myself.
Pepper had to leave early. I didn't win anything at the silent auction, but other people dropped some serious cash, so hooray for the fundraiser. Kelly and I haunted a few more booths. I stood to the side while she schmoozed with her associates. Sometimes I wandered off, sometimes I joined in. The people at Modern Times Coffee had a cold brew to die for. It helped to cut the haze for me a bit.
We closed the place out and hopped in an Uber. We were only slightly sun singed. Kelly and I came back and took a cool swim to bring our skin temperature down. We sobered up in the hot tub. I love coming down from an event by chilling and chatting. Kelly is a heartfelt, interesting, and creative go-getter. I adore her.
How do I afford my rock 'n' roll lifestyle?
Bitch, please.
I don't pay for things, I know people.
To quote Leeloo, "Multi-pass."
Comments
Post a Comment