Three Days in Texas

OH dear god, what a month! Closed on a house, hosted three UK relatives in our tiny house with half of the house packed in boxes, and now less than a week after getting my new house keys and my relatives flying home I find myself in a resort on the shores of Lake Texoma. It's the last Peters/Easter family reunion my second cousin Marla is putting together. I had to come. I'm so glad I did.

I just sat listening to family ghost stories over steaks. Everyone had a story. Some were shadows that disappeared when they looked at them, one was a mean ghost that was terrorizing two granddaughters, my father recalled an antebellum ghost that used to pace the halls of a house we lived in when I was infant.

I also heard some scandalous stories. My father's grandmother apparently was a terror. When my dad's younger brother John was born she was devastated.She wanted a granddaughter. The nurses at the maternity ward caught her trying to switch John's wristband with the baby girl in the crib next to his. She was banned for life from the hospital.

One time, she saw a house that she wanted. She tried everything to find the owners. After a few weeks or so, she took matters into her own hands and paid to have the house moved to her property. Six months later, Gulf Oil came back to find their house missing. They were planning to have it torn down. Her father paid the $700 to avoid legal issues.

She wanted a new hot water heater. She went down to the store. They were charging $120. She only wanted to pay $80. Over the next three months she visited the store every day to speak with the store manager, who had taken to hiding from her. Finally, they sold her the heater for $80.

I have to say, I felt a kinship with this crazy old Texas harridan. I wondered if bone deep stubborn was a genetic trait. I thought of multiple examples of me digging my heels in and getting results that shocked my husband.

Like I always say: You don't ask, you don't get.

Keep you posted on any other bizarre stories that emerge.

p.s.
Mom said this was perfect squatch country. I'm keeping my phone handy in case.

Comments

  1. I love your blog, keep them stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your cousin, I can say, you come by stubborn honestly...on both sides. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Compound

My Grandmother Eda Died Today

Forbidden Dreams