It's My Birthday Month
Well, I'm officially 40. Thursday was the big day, and I wasn't prepared for the pressure of finding something crazy stupid to do to mark the end of my youth, and the beginning of the quilting years. I chose going to PV to the tidepools. And I chose to go too late; the tide was high, and the stairs were too long and steep to take down the Pifferman(our intrepid hound. AKA Piff, Schultzie, Piffy von Piff Pants, pork chop, Plan B, and-my fave-Muscle Butticus, so dubbed by his goddogmom Liz. She dies I get Sanchez, her evil mastermind of a fluffy cat who is planning world domination of all humans; Me and Scott die, she gets Piff, and tons of walkies duty).
So, we let Piff enjoy freaking out over all the squirrels in the grass. It was truly a beautiful day outside. Warm, windy, and the ocean is just infinite and amazing. I was fine without scrabbling over wet rocks to peer at some petrified crab hiding in the crack in a rock. We decided to head back home. Scott offered to cook my dinner. He asked me what I wanted more than anything in the world, my number one dinner. What would I want if it was the last dinner ever.
"Quiche," I answered.
He drew back. "Really?"
"Yep, with a light salad."
He laughed at my choice. So mundane. I could have had steak and lobster, for god's sake! I didn't want steak and lobster. I wanted eggy goodness. We got back, and our neighbors Pete and Josh poured into the back yard with birthday cupcakes. I had grabbed a bottle of the wine at the liquor store, and offered everyone a glass. We caught up with each other's lives.
We've all have been doing the head nod, mini wave thing for months with each other. Just busy lives. We've lived here a decade, the boys have been here about 15 years, and we know we're cool with each other. Josh darted back to the liquor store for another bottle of wine. He told me it was another bday gift. Tommy showed up to go with the guys to dinner. Scott cooked dinner in the kitchen. We sat on the back patio, sipping wine and chatted. Kim, my badass trainer, rolls up with her toddler on one hip, and a bag with bottles of wine and a box of wine glasses over the other shoulder. My jaw dropped.
"Holy Crap! What's this?"
She smiled and swung the bag onto the kitchen counter.
"The girls wanted to celebrate you, so they sent the party."
I peered into the bag. "Do you guys think I'm an alcoholic?!"
"No! We just know you like red wine," she twinkled at me.
She took time to hand me the card and point out what came from who. I was poleaxed that they took the time and cared enough to do something like that. Just like Ally taking me to Palm Springs for a three day getaway at a spa at first of June. Tommy gave me gift certificates for a night out with Scott, and some athletic goodies. At lunchtime that day my friend Alissa brought me a birthday cider juice, right before she gave me a 90 min massage. That morning I went to my friend Donna's spa and got a 90 min facial. She gave me a card and a dozen coral roses. Pretty good day, all in all.
Yeah. IT WAS AN AWESOME DAY! Wow! Seriously, wow. I can't believe I have so many sweet wonderful people around me who care so much. I'm really humbled by that. I love all my peeps, but I'm always surprised and touched how much they care back.
My mom sent a really neat little necklace. It is a rabbit coin carved out of a coin. It was a belated Christmas gift. Mom ordered it from the UK last year. The artist must have been way back logged. I do love it. It's a wild rabbit with sharp ears and a lean body. The necklace is a choker with black wax string. I feel so punk wearing it. LOL
She also sent a check in my card. She stills sends Easter baskets for me and Scott, and we also get stocking stuffers at Christmas. Yeah, I'm still 12, but I don't care. She's the best mom ever. Many times I've paid bills with a birthday check. The real gift is the sense of relief of at least one or two outstanding bills are cleared.
So, 40. hmm. Everyone is telling me it is a great decade. One of the prime ones. I consider my 20s the stupid decade where all the bad tattoos, bad debt, and bad relationship memories come from. My 30s were my TCB decade. I finished college, I started my own business, I helped my husband survive UCLA, I got a gastric bypass, I lost 180lbs, I only gained back 20. Not bad. My friends have called me their "athletic friend". Yeah. I know! I almost spit wine out my nose too when I heard that. It felt damn good for the fattest kid in PE to morph into the athletic friend. Crazy good. I did a Tough Mudder, and didn't die. Again, yeah I was surprised too. I am literally 47 pages of editing away from finishing my first book. Seriously ready to pull my thumb outta my butt on that one. I have like six books waiting in the wings, ready to be fleshed out.
Maybe my 40s will be the writing decade...
So, we let Piff enjoy freaking out over all the squirrels in the grass. It was truly a beautiful day outside. Warm, windy, and the ocean is just infinite and amazing. I was fine without scrabbling over wet rocks to peer at some petrified crab hiding in the crack in a rock. We decided to head back home. Scott offered to cook my dinner. He asked me what I wanted more than anything in the world, my number one dinner. What would I want if it was the last dinner ever.
"Quiche," I answered.
He drew back. "Really?"
"Yep, with a light salad."
He laughed at my choice. So mundane. I could have had steak and lobster, for god's sake! I didn't want steak and lobster. I wanted eggy goodness. We got back, and our neighbors Pete and Josh poured into the back yard with birthday cupcakes. I had grabbed a bottle of the wine at the liquor store, and offered everyone a glass. We caught up with each other's lives.
We've all have been doing the head nod, mini wave thing for months with each other. Just busy lives. We've lived here a decade, the boys have been here about 15 years, and we know we're cool with each other. Josh darted back to the liquor store for another bottle of wine. He told me it was another bday gift. Tommy showed up to go with the guys to dinner. Scott cooked dinner in the kitchen. We sat on the back patio, sipping wine and chatted. Kim, my badass trainer, rolls up with her toddler on one hip, and a bag with bottles of wine and a box of wine glasses over the other shoulder. My jaw dropped.
"Holy Crap! What's this?"
She smiled and swung the bag onto the kitchen counter.
"The girls wanted to celebrate you, so they sent the party."
I peered into the bag. "Do you guys think I'm an alcoholic?!"
"No! We just know you like red wine," she twinkled at me.
She took time to hand me the card and point out what came from who. I was poleaxed that they took the time and cared enough to do something like that. Just like Ally taking me to Palm Springs for a three day getaway at a spa at first of June. Tommy gave me gift certificates for a night out with Scott, and some athletic goodies. At lunchtime that day my friend Alissa brought me a birthday cider juice, right before she gave me a 90 min massage. That morning I went to my friend Donna's spa and got a 90 min facial. She gave me a card and a dozen coral roses. Pretty good day, all in all.
Yeah. IT WAS AN AWESOME DAY! Wow! Seriously, wow. I can't believe I have so many sweet wonderful people around me who care so much. I'm really humbled by that. I love all my peeps, but I'm always surprised and touched how much they care back.
My mom sent a really neat little necklace. It is a rabbit coin carved out of a coin. It was a belated Christmas gift. Mom ordered it from the UK last year. The artist must have been way back logged. I do love it. It's a wild rabbit with sharp ears and a lean body. The necklace is a choker with black wax string. I feel so punk wearing it. LOL
She also sent a check in my card. She stills sends Easter baskets for me and Scott, and we also get stocking stuffers at Christmas. Yeah, I'm still 12, but I don't care. She's the best mom ever. Many times I've paid bills with a birthday check. The real gift is the sense of relief of at least one or two outstanding bills are cleared.
So, 40. hmm. Everyone is telling me it is a great decade. One of the prime ones. I consider my 20s the stupid decade where all the bad tattoos, bad debt, and bad relationship memories come from. My 30s were my TCB decade. I finished college, I started my own business, I helped my husband survive UCLA, I got a gastric bypass, I lost 180lbs, I only gained back 20. Not bad. My friends have called me their "athletic friend". Yeah. I know! I almost spit wine out my nose too when I heard that. It felt damn good for the fattest kid in PE to morph into the athletic friend. Crazy good. I did a Tough Mudder, and didn't die. Again, yeah I was surprised too. I am literally 47 pages of editing away from finishing my first book. Seriously ready to pull my thumb outta my butt on that one. I have like six books waiting in the wings, ready to be fleshed out.
Maybe my 40s will be the writing decade...
Comments
Post a Comment