A new day

A white virgin stands facing the ocean, her hands pressed together in prayer, while two acolytes clasp each other in frozen joy. A third acolyte takes the picture. The blood red carnations draped over the virgin's praying hands are bright splots of color against a white robe backed by a white seashell. She stared out to sea when it was nunnery, and now she stands before a Buddhist Monastery with same serene gaze taking in the whole of the western seaboard.

I drove past her at lunch to go to my detox class. I was struck by all the mini vignettes framing themselves around me. The yoga class on the bluff lying in corpse pose while an oblivious jogger picks her way through the bodies, chatting on her phone. The two women riding their bikes toward the beach, wearing big floppy sun hats and laughing joyfully at the sunshine. I love Long Beach. There is such a sense of community. We really felt it last night on the beach.

It was a good weekend. We had an awesome time on the 4th. We hung out at my friend Liz's house. It was a great party. Mellow and Small. Perfect. We biked around with our friend Jon. We all ended up on the beach around 9pm. It was beautiful. We sat on the beach, and watched the world explode with all kinds of colors. People were chanting USA, USA, USA! One guy kept yelling "Fuck Yeah!". It was hilarious.

I didn't work out last week, and I feel guilty. I was so exhausted by all the craziness. But I am going today. It's super hot, hopefully I'll sweat out some of the crappy food I ate this weekend. LOL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Compound

My Grandmother Eda Died Today

Forbidden Dreams